Saturday, September 25, 2010

Eating badly on vacation

Then to another 'aha' moment - I don`t know how many of these moments I need to have till I quit being amazed at how food contributes to our health. While I was away, I again fell into the trap and used all the excuses in the book to fall off the wagon - steak, chicken you name it, I had it - still eating my fruit but less vegetables and adding meat with great glee....... about 5 days into this change of diet I awoke in the morning not as I usually do, bounding out of bed, instead I felt every day of my accumulated years, feet aching and barely moving, the bags under my eyes turning into suitcases and I said to myself "wow, it never fails does it?"
Immediately on landing , I rushed home heading straight to my kitchen yelling out to my live food chef son Peter - "green juice and keep it coming" and I'm now feeling myself again. This time I must say only the Outback steak thrilled me........nothing else, so I craved nothing going back on my raw food diet and I feel so revived - I really need to stop joking around....the reason I do it is the excuses you all use......too much trouble to eat different from everybody else so I ate what everybody else was eating, too difficult to fix something just for me, any excuse I could give I gave myself, really I was just too lazy to fix my food and as I watched everyone around me having a great time eating their way to various illnesses, I joined in laughing all the way, knowing I have a death sentence over my head. It's amazing how we all have a death wish and love playing with fire......I write this to let you know that you are not alone in your struggles even those of us who know better, struggle....... difference is after my vacation I came back to my proper regime and even now while I write this I'm having my almond milk - freshly made - not out of a box so I know how lucky I am, thing is those of you who don`t need to keep as rigid a diet as mine need the support of family and those around you,even covering up the barbeque - not good for you and a reminder to all of you who have aches and pains and look older than your years - a tossed salad with your barbeque chicken/steak/burger - does not mean eating 80% raw. At least I could sense that my family and friends felt guilty enjoying eating those things around me - all except my eldest son who is so happy eating badly I truly hope and pray he has his father's genes......

1 comment:

Evelyln said...

Hi Pat,
Sometimes we will fall off the wagon, but the good thing is that we can get up and keep moving.

I could see your son bringing you your green juices. (smile) Glad you got back to bouncy self. :)

Hang in there and keep moving!

Take care,

Evelyn