Thursday, December 9, 2010

FRIENDSHIP

What can I say?
I haven't been able to blog since my close friend Norma Shirley died,I had no interest in doing anything, and couldn't wrap my head around writing........thanks for all your kind thoughts posted on Facebook - that made me know my words have been missed.
She used to say "if I have to eat like you to live, I would rather die " well, die she did from pneumonia or was it a heart attack or was it a broken heart whatever it was she is no longer here and her space as my friend is large and empty as she was a demanding friend, she showed how to be a friend daily, she was a friend to all her friends 24/7 and demanded the same from you.
If she called and didn't get you 2 calls in a row she was mad,I remember her unhappiness at me texting in her presence, she had to have your undivided attention and she gave you hers.
I remember how she took on your problems - they immediately became hers, but she kept hers to all but a few and even to the few of us she told she tried to make light of it.....the love of her life was her son Delius......so we had that in common and she loved mine as she loved hers....and just as my issues were hers so was my sons hers. My adopted son was a foodie like her so he not only followed her into the world of cooking, he followed her anywhere she chose to eat, regaling me with stories of their exploits- "Ma, Auntie Norms and I went to Hellshire this morning, we had lobster, fish ...." and on and on....they had great fun!
People loved to hear I was having something at my house as she always did the food so my functions were always well attended with people talking about the food months after......
She used to proudly tell me she drank at least 40 glasses of water per day, I used to tell her 40 glasses of ice cold water hurts more than it helps, as I sat down on the Terrace she used to say "you want some green juice?" I used to be very impressed as she always said she was just about to have hers until the day I said yes and wondering how on earth string bean juice was so delicious, walked into the pantry and spoke to the maker of said juice and learnt it was full of GRANULATED SUGAR.....
so much for green juice at Norma's!
She had the most beautiful send off as her love of music and flowers were well in evidence, her Urn a wonderful piece of art..........
I HOPE THE POWERS THAT BE REALIZE THAT HER CREATIVE GENIUS NEEDS TO BE PASSED ON BEFORE WE LOSE IT!
I need to come to terms with the fact that I'm to live on memories and those I have in abundance but people with larger than life personalities leave huge voids and not only in our hearts......miss you Norms!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here, sipping on my green juice, by chance and reading your latest blog.
It is so sad to lose a good friend and one that was such a good friend that they are a good friend to your child also.
However I did find some humor in the story of the string bean juice.
Brought many sayings to mind," the classic, "One man's meat is another man's poison and my own saying "Because it taste good does not mean, it is good for you".
Welcome back online....