Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thoughts on Haiti

This natural disaster in Haiti has given me a lot to think about. Could I survive 7 days without food and water? An 84 year old just did!
Am I spiritually tuned to know to stay calm and let go and let God knowing that there is a bigger plan than the one I can see in front of me...sitting with a broken bone could I bear the pain? Would I say yes, free me by cutting off my leg without an anesthetic.....could I watch my 4 year old slipping in and out of consciousness due to a head injury while doctors tell me he needs surgery to survive but there is no neurosurgeon around but I hear help has arrived....
Everyday it goes on and on and I think yes this is the day it will be better but it gets worse.
I honestly believe there are hundreds of people under the rubble that the dogs can`t sniff and the rescue workers can't hear. How does it feel to be tombed alive?
For somebody who eats like me, could I eat chemical rations when I know it's going to make me violently sick and there are no bathrooms. Did fruit shake off the trees -are any fruit trees left? I don`t see any.... would I have the strength to walk to other towns that look greener hoping to find a fruit or a vegetable? Port-Au-Prince is not Haiti folks,its only the Capital!
Have we all gotten the lesson?
The Jewel of the Caribbean - the first Black nation to be granted Independence reduced to rubble because of years of corruption and neglect.....yes all who kotched up 'Baby Doc'and his father before him...when you watch your TV now do you feel? Are you comfortable in your skin or because they are black it doesn't matter? John Maxwell's piece in last Sunday's Observer No, Mister! You Cannot Share My Pain! is a history lesson for anyone who cares to know the truth about how Haiti became one of the poorest countries in the western hemisphere.
We in Jamaica need to reflect on how corruption has taken hold in our society - have you noticed the absence of steel in the 5 story buildings in Haiti? One announcer this morning said although the earthquake that hit Cayman was not as strong they have better building codes anyway. I remember when I was building my house, at each stage a man would come from the parish council to make sure I had enough steel etc. in it before I could continue. That doesn`t happen again. You now pay a man at the parish council and build what you want, how you want, with what you want!
We all need to remember the good old Jamaican saying and "Tek Sleep Mark Death!"

No comments: