Sunday, April 18, 2010

Caffeine

I grew up loving the smell of coffee but not the taste as my mother prepared it with condensed milk so I never discovered its true taste and of course there was always a jar of instant coffee on the table in the mornings and that isn't coffee.....well fast forward to my second husband who says he loves coffee and so I discovered the joys of 'coffee mate' with coffee. What he is, just like my mother is a flavoured coffee drinker.....then Norma Shirley from Norma's restaurants came into my life and showed me what a joy a small cup of well brewed coffee with nothing in it can be .......
I read from time to time the benefits and negative effects of coffee and come back to my favourite mantra "all things in moderation". Nobody should be having 5 cups of coffee per day ,when I finally weaned myself off one cup per day I had headaches for 2 weeks. As to all those caffeine-laced drinks on the market now that have us shaking like we are 100 years old, please be careful people!
Here is what Casey from RawAndFit.com has to say on his addiction to this false sense of energy and what to do about it.
Fast-forward into my college years… Somewhere between exams and partying, I developed a taste for that brown water. It could have been a girlfriend who worked at the coffee shop where I studied who gave me free drinks, or maybe it was the prestige of drinking an espresso after dinner. Whatever the reason, I was hooked.
Over the course of the next 3 years, I was a coffee fanatic! Starbucks, home brewed, McDonalds, double shots of espresso, triple shots of espresso in coffee with heavy cream. It didn’t stop there. Monster Energy Drinks were a favorite of mine when I had to work, then class, then party at night.
Quitting Caffeine for Good! Ever hear of a Monster BFC?
I’d do 2 pounds of sugary caffeine loaded energy soda in the morning for breakfast, then coke with my Jack Daniels at night.
I was a caffeine monster! I couldn’t help myself.
Once I decided to take accountability for my life, I looked into caffeine. Did I really need all that caffeine to stay awake, or was it some sort of cycle that kept me tired and gave me a false sense of energy? Was I just caught up in something that I wasn’t aware of?
Yes. I was addicted.
The next suitable thing to do was to slowly start weaning myself off caffeine. I began to limit my coffee intake to 1 cup a day, slowly dropped out the energy drinks. It took me about a month to be fully caffeine free. It was tough, but well worth it.
That’s something you should do tomorrow. Start focusing on your caffeine intake and start to reduce it.....
We’re talking about giving you REAL, LASTING energy – not some fake alternative.
Trust me, you’ll be a lot happier with the change!

No comments: