Tuesday, July 7, 2009

TRAVELLING WITH RAW FOOD

Listening to Kevin Gianni and his wife talk about the top 10 raw foods to take on the road from an episode of The Renegade Health Show I got the impression that raw food was not exciting, as most of the food were in powder or seed form, and I understood clearly (although I have always known) why it's so hard for people to eat raw food, much less eat healthily on the road..... I can just imagine Jamaicans who want their rice and peas and chicken eating Chia seeds or any form of food in powder form......most of them don`t even want to have porridge without condensed milk ( I eat no form of porridge, cooked or raw) so I can't imagine them putting any form of powder in a bowl, adding only water and drinking it !
They then showed all kinds of things to add flavour to salads etc. most of us are salad-ed out, so on top of the dressings we are going to need something else......big food as Jamaicans would say...... I can also imagine the reaction to the fermented foods, as most of us think fermented means the thing has spoilt......well I am here to tell them that Kombucha is the fermented health drink that G.T.DAVE used to cure his mother of breast cancer...... he is now enjoying all the perks of this amazing drink - millions of dollars. Here is his story according to an article on SFGate.com :
Twelve years ago, Dave was a teenager living in L.A.'s tony Brentwood district with his parents, whom he describes as "very spiritual." He had dropped out of Beverly Hills High School because he found it difficult to relate to the values of his peers there. "I started feeling like my high school environment was not healthy for me," he recalls.
With his parents' blessing, he took the GED test and, shortly thereafter, enrolled at Los Angeles City College. Then his mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.
When she underwent testing, the doctors were amazed that her large tumor, which consisted of precancerous cells, had not metastasized. When asked whether she had been doing anything unusual,she said the only thing she could think of was that she had been drinking kombucha. The doctors told her whatever it was she was doing, that she should keep doing it.
Dave's parents had received their mushroom tea from a friend who had gotten it from a monk, and they loved it. It made their skin glow, his mom lost weight and his dad's hair thickened. After the diagnosis, Dave's mom researched kombucha and found evidence that it deters cancer. (She continues to drink it long after a successful course of chemotherapy and a lumpectomy and has been cancer free since then).
Dave, 16 at the time, decided to quit school altogether and dedicate himself to making the beneficial beverage. "My mom is everything to me," he says. "Thinking that I could lose her and that there was something that could help her and help others motivated me to start the company."
So maybe fermented food is not such a bad idea after all - I also have a few tips of my own for eating healthily while on the road. The things that I carry with me are mainly the following:
Purified water in stainless steel containers,
'Raw' dehydrated sweet potato or yam chips,
Any kind of cookies that my son has prepared (this week was walnut),
Teas:last week was black walnut, guinea hen weed, pau de Arco and dandelion root.
If my son prepares cho cho or cauliflower pate I take that in a container packed with ice paks and when I reach my destination I use lettuce and make rolls with them.
If ackee is in season I buy ackees, take them out the pods and take out and discard the red tissue in the middle (I don`t know what it's called) and eat them as a snack as I drive along, or put cayenne pepper on them and there is a meal....also any fruit that is in season and found as I drive along also goes in the car for later.
Add to that my glyco nutrients (Avanced Ambrotose powder),my 'Greens Best' powder which is a blend of organic greens and I`m good to go.
I think my road-food selection sounds a little more interesting than the Giannis, don't you?
On the video they were wondering why their melons had very little seeds, sometimes none.....I guess it's like the seedless grapes I wonder about?......Thank God our melons are all local and have plenty seeds and as to our other delicious local fruits,what a blessing! MANGO SEASON THIS YEAR WAS A LITTLE TOO KIND TO ME AS I GAINED 9 LBS.!!!! 6 MANGOES A DAY WILL DO THAT TO YOU. But honestly,I must say that this mango season has been like none other. My holistic practitioner nearly had a tree as it's much too much fructose going into my body on a daily basis...ah dear, hope I didn`t do any damage.......It was good though!
On to the next season of fruit.....did I hear GUINEP? CAN`T WAIT!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Exactly are the green foods that you blend together to call green juice