Saturday, April 25, 2009

DRUG RIP OFF?

Watching people die of cancer is not a pretty thing and watching them die while being ripped off is even more painful.
According to a recent article in the NY Times " Chuck Stauffer’s insurance covered the surgery to remove his brain tumor. It covered his brain scans. And it would have paid fully for tens of thousands of dollars of intravenous chemotherapy at a doctor’s office or hospital.But his insurance covered hardly any of the cost of the cancer pills the doctor prescribed for him to take at home. Mr. Stauffer, a 62-year-old Oregon farmer, had to pay $5,500 for the first 42-day supply of the drug, Temodar, and $1,700 a month after that". Here is the full story with other examples of health insurance rip-offs.
I also recently had a similar experience with a friend who not only paid a princely sum for her chemo pills - Tarciva was the one given to her, the insurance company refused to pay for them and on top of that they DIDN`T WORK! Now we could ask since the intravenous one didn`t work why give her the tablet form ? Are the pharmaceuticals and doctors working together against us again?
My experience with chemo pills was that they turned me black, blacker than I am and I couldn`t touch or hold anything cold and the soles of my feet seemed as if I had been burnt,and the icing on the cake was that I got a thing called pseudomembrane disease which could have killed me if I wasn`t rushed to the hospital where it was diagnosed by having a sigmoidoscope,and then I was rushed to a pharmacy to wait outside in the car where I was given 2 injections costing nuff nuff dollars....
Everything to do with this disease costs a pretty penny, yet we all prefer to pay for the MRI and the CATSCAN and the surgeries instead of eating the right way.... amazing isn`t it?
The moral of the story is "everywhere u tun macka juk u' so why not try and do what JACK WELSH says CHANGE BEFORE YOU HAVE TO!

No comments: