Thursday, April 30, 2009

'LIVE' food party

Thinking about stress and reading about this report out of Stanford done on rats and it says that rats when under stress gained weight whether their caloric intake went up or not.....lesson - avoid stress at all costs........hard to do as life is a stress.
We have made it so.
Go into a supermarket and you don`t know what to buy, everything prettier and better packaged than the rest.......truth is that the things that are best for you are in the worst packaging.....read labels and it will help you to make your decisions ,don`t go by how red the meat is and how pretty the fruit is. When you take it home that's when the test of the fruit is. It tastes like cardboard!
I had an interesting experience last Friday night ....went with my son who is a jerk pork God and won`t tek talk when he comes home to visit.......so off to 'Scotchies' he had to go where there was no place to park ....I had no idea that's what happened there on a Friday night .I hope it was because it was end of month,and it's a once a month thing and not an every Friday thing.........
I am not a preacher folks but try to make the eating of smoked jerk meat a once in a while thing and not an every day or every week thing....do I beg you.....
The greatest part of my son`s vist though was the belated birthday party I had for my grand daughter on Sunday and where I served only "live" food.
WOW WHAT A STRESS! I felt no way as I had informed everyone what kind of food was going be served but I don`t think they believed me but if my granddaughter is anything to go by that generation is in trouble....first of all she eats nothing green so zucchini is hidden in banana bread and she loves it that way....she does the "fruits till 12 noon" routine and she likes the raw food cookies which are flax-seed almonds and raisins so I wish I had her for a month. Life would change for Miss Naiyah as Daddy and his lollipops would get left behind as going into a pharmacy she sees lollipops and asks for them but she is not getting them so I tell her not to stress herself go with whomever is with me and do something else and she does. They will listen people but you have to do it before the sweet tooth sets in and can`t be broken. Another thing,all these children who we claim have asthma etc. take them off bagels and pasta and bread and watch what happens.....WE FEED OUR CHILDREN TOO MUCH MUCUS-MAKING FOODS!
Anyway back to the party the menu went like this
- zucchini salad
- greens with mango sauce
- ackee with seaweed
- stuffed eggplant
- curried plantains
- salsa with yam and sweet potato chips
- wata and cranwata
- otaheite apple juice and mixed fruit ice-cream
Well by the time we reached the ice cream I had to serve Haagen Dazs Pralines & Cream as a treat as the men especially were ready to commit suicide.......one unhappy child (a 9 year old) said "is there nothing unhealthy here to eat?"
I didn`t find that funny, he knows it's unhealthy but still wants it and all he had was the too sweet ice cream ...sad comment on us and what we`ve done to our children....
All of them bar none heading to some sort of "itis", in fact one of the adult guests can`t walk her knees gone due to overweight and another has bad, bad diabetes.
On the way back home,the person who was in a coma recently from diabetes had a box of greasy chicken which I understand she devoured in 2 mins,the daughter of the person who can barely walk was in that chicken line and she claims she is trying to lose weight.....yet another went to eat at 'Faiths Pen' despite cautions issued in an article in our Daily Gleaner about the unsanitary water used there.It would have been better if they ate nothing and drank water,but our regular food habits have us behaving like crazed addicts!
The sweetest joke of the evening came from a friend's husband who said he promised his wife to come and suffer for 4 hours and that's what he`s doing, suffering so when we introduced the chef he said "yes bring the chef someone needs to shoot him".
My husband was in 7th heaven and wanted to know why he couldn`t have that array of food every day....difficult hon, difficult. Just look around you!

No comments: