Monday, May 4, 2009

Barbara is gone........

Below is a poem written by JAMES VAN DYKE . The son of my friend Barbara, who died last week requested that it be read as a tribute to his mother at her funeral......His name is Michael Sam and he is 13 years old ... if more of us understood death like this, it would go a long way in easing the pain of losing a loved one which is usually unbearable, especially when that person was larger than life.

I am standing upon the seashore.

A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze

and starts for the blue ocean.


She is an object of beauty and strength.

I stand and watch until at length she hangs

like a speck of white cloud

just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other.


Then someone at my side says,

"There, she is gone!"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight . . . that is all.


She is just as large in mast and hull and spar

as she was when she left my side

and just as able to bear her load of living freight

to her destined port.


Her diminished size is in me, not in her.


And just at the moment

when someone at my side says,

"There she is gone!"

there are other eyes watching her coming . . .

and other voices ready to take up the glad shout . . .

"Here she comes!"

And that is dying.
Thank you Michael Sam ....hearing this being read did help especially the fact that it came from you. If you can see it this way why can`t I understand this ? Why is it so hard ? Is it because it all happened so fast? Is it because she was so full of life you didn`t think she COULD die? Is it because she managed all of us as only she could? It is all this and more......
B., Obama successfully made his first 100 days and you were not here to see it.
How could you ?

No comments: