Saturday, June 14, 2008

FRUITARIAN VEGAN OR RAW FOODISTS?

I told u to soak your fruits and vegetables in water with peroxide or salt and a friend called me to say she can`t believe what the water looked like when she went to throw it away.......correct and that is what goes into us when we think we are eating healthily.
I know a ' food scientist' who peels every thing...I like the skins of my apples and some mangoes so i will soak.
I remember my mother never gave me an american apple without peeling it first. She felt all american fruits were suspect.
Now with all the third world fruits from Ecuador, Chili etc. u had better peel or soak as they use the strongest of the strong to make sure their fruits compete.
The backyard garden keeps looking better and better.
Another rule of thumb is if the birds and slugs are eating it that means its good, no pesticides. A tip for your garden is put crushed egg shells in the soil to keep the slugs away.
We have learnt that perfect is no longer great. We now know that those red meats and too pretty fruit are engineered to attract us. We need to stop falling for pretty.
In the 'live food' world we have learnt that too pretty a banana or plantain must not be eaten - just because it's not being cooked we can`t risk eating carbonized food, so we have to shop with an eagle eye.
There was a special on CNN on eating vegan and they went to a vegan chef in Brooklyn, New York who was talking about gone are the days of bland vegan food (why i couldn`t eat it) and he was serving the reporter a meal of cashew cheese in turnip ravioli(now u talking).
The movement is growing, I read where Oprah is now on the bandwagon. I`ve been looking at her for the past 2 years wondering how come with all her money she didn`t know that if she went to 'live food 'her weight problem would disappear. Then she came down with her thyroid problem and i said to myself, doesn`t she know or is it that she doesn`t want to know as she loves food so much , but watching the show where she committed to 21 days of eating this way i realized she didn`t know.
Well when u look at her food that her chef is preparing and she is eating daily she can`t miss her old way of eating for a minute, we should all be so lucky .
Half of the problem i understand is boredom but i ask u how come we get bored eating a cho cho salad twice a week if its fixed 2 different ways and we don`t get tired of chicken 5 days a week ? We also eat the same menu every week stew peas monday ,curry chicken wednesday and so on and every sunday we have fricassee chicken and rice and peas. We never get tired of that yet some of my children told me that fruit bores them eating it everyday.........how come ?
Fruits are even seasonal so now we are in mango season, we should eat mangoes as we soon won`t see them. If u eat fruits in season u cannot be bored.
Maybe i`m a fruitarian ,eating plums all day everyday can`t bore me. Give me 6 east indian mangoes with a dozen black mangoes and 6 bags of plums and my day is complete. Happier than me is hard to find.
I wonder if that's why i`m alive?

No comments: