Tuesday, June 10, 2008

SECRETS

Why do we keep secrets ?
My mother always told me everything done in the dark will come into the light.........Isn`t it much easier to have it in the light in the first place ?
When i think how many people have committed suicide because they are gay . People who live unhappily for their entire lives because they are keeping secrets of one kind or the other and half of the time it's not a secret at all....it's only a secret in their own mind as nine times out of ten people know and help carry on the charade when u r around and talk freely about u when u r out of earshot.
I think when we say what is going on with our lives we get support and we know who loves us warts and all.
I remember when i got cancer for the first time in 1978 people treated u as if u had leprosy as they didn`t know what to make of it and just as how they treat aids now because of ignorance..... That's the same way they treated Cancer , wouldn`t even call the name , then it was the BIG C.
I would walk into a party and the room would clear or everybody found themselves pasted to the wall as i walked through. I remember going on our national airline once and one of the stewardesses who knew me well looked positively scared ,like she had seen a ghost. I went to her and asked her what had happened ? She said she thought i was dead as she heard i had cancer so i asked her why would she think because i had cancer i would be dead.......I didn`t see her for the rest of the flight, that was fine with me as i was as happy as a lark, glad to be soaring above the clouds giving thanks to be alive. She was the one in hiding ,not me.
Most people did not know what to say then , some still don`t, that's fine, lets discuss other things but know that I am NOT keeping a secret!

No comments: