Tuesday, December 2, 2008

MAKE YOUR GIFTS THIS YEAR

An article came out in one of our papers and it had what to buy our rich friends for Christmas....things like gourmet chefs cooking for them ...... the only things rich friends are to get this Christmas is advice on where to donate some of their money. How many scholarships can they give for school children etc. those sort of things.....Don`t we realize what's happening in the world and that the change is about to descend on us, whether we like it or not?.... Are we still living in a fool's world ? Like the shoppers that made black Friday sales go up 7% from last year.
There are 2 ways to look at it, maybe people are only shopping sales so they get a bang for the buck, or are they still shopping for shopping sake, using the credit card because they won`t pay it till later. Let's hope it's the former.... the prices were so slashed, they have finished shopping for the year.
Sorry Mr. retailer but how I`m reading it - you will be having no Christmas this year. For our sake I hope I`m right. This is one year we will shop at our peril.
Here in Jamaica I thought we had realized that the game is over but when I opened the newspaper and read that article on Christmas gifts I realize we haven`t learned a thing. Went to a friend recently and she gave me sweet pepper seedlings which are thriving well in a pot on my patio. Highly appreciated gift. Those are the gifts we need to be giving this year. For the past 2 years I have asked whoever pulls me as a pixie to give me a basket of fruits and veg from the market..... Wonderful! It's things I would have to buy anyway....No unwanted foolishness - reasonable and healthy.
This Christmas be sensible, children also need to be taught to give instead of overget.
'Tun han mek fashion' - that's our dialect for make your gifts with your hands instead of buying. Make jams,tamarind balls, bake cakes, embroider towels, frame a photograph, paint a picture, string beads for bracelets, earrings and necklaces, whatever your talent is - use it........We did it in the seventies with great aplomb, we can do it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree. My friends and I have decided for christmas we are giving the gift of time-spent with each other. Some of them live a few hours away so we don't get to see each other as often as we would like. So instead of getting together once to exchange gifts we are making more time to sit together, gab, laugh, and catch up, over lunch or whatever. I wish you could join us!!